Saturday, May 23

Keogh's in Denver




We arrived in Denver Thursday afternoon under cloudy overcast skies. Tim picked us up at the airport and drove us to his and Teah's house on Hooker St. Friday morning we got up and Tim, Ellen & I headed to the cemeteries to locate my relatives. Anthony Keogh, my great grandfather and his family came west from Windsor Locks, CT. in 1887. They took the train from Hartford, changing in Chicago and then getting off in Denver. There were three cemeteries that I was interested in going to. However we found out that Mount Calvary cemetery had been closed and turned into a park. The Americans were re-intured in Mt. Olvivet and the Chinese were returned to China. This was around 1910. 
The Cemetery we went to was the Olinger Crown Hill Cemetery where I knew that Anthony was buried. We stopped in the office and were given a map and directions. A short time later we found the tombstone pictured above. Anthony Keogh, his Wife Margaret E. (Ryan) Keogh and 2 of their children Edward C. Keogh and Elizabeth A. Keogh. We also found Edward's wife Ellen Ida,( I do not have her surname) and a baby that died at birth.
Then onto Mt. Olivet cemetery. Here we were looking for my  Keogh and Callahan grandparents and two of my grandfather's brothers who had previously been buried in Mt. Calvary. There were no stones for the brothers who had been reintered but a only a general monument, but we found everyone else. The Callahan's were a real bonus as I have been unable to find much about them. So I got dates for the 2 daughters , Ida & Lena and Lena's husbnd and both of their parents.

Cemetery research is always good when you find everyone you are looking for. I have spent lots of time wandering around and not finding anyone. So we said hello to all. 
While doing the cemetery research I also looked into where everyone lived. What's really neat, is that Tim and Teah picked an area in Denver that actually is where the Keogh's lived, totally unaware at the time. Then we go one step further and find that on the first night in their new abode on Hooker st. Tim goes out for dinner in the Federal Blvd. Bar and Grill. This building turns out to have been the home of Anthony & Margaret Keogh. When they lived there it was a house and next door was their grocery store. The house, we found out was converted to a bar in 1933.

No comments: