Well it is 7 degrees outside this morning . Second day in a row the temperature is in single digits and it has been 5 days of very cold, windy weather. We will be flying South on Friday to visit Tim and Cis & David in Naples. I have my geocaches all planned and we will be spending a good bit of time outside. It seems of late that we are doing more Geocaching in Florida than up here in Massachusetts. I hope to be able to post some pictures of our adventures after we get to Naples,( and a computer). So I would ask you all to check back in occasionally.
Last year, after watching Survivor, at our friends farm, we decided to drive to Providence. It had started to snow, so we thought that it would be better & safer to be at the airport for the night rather than chance the drive in the morning. It worked out well although the drive in the snowstorm was a bit hairy at times. I was glad we had new tires on the car. This year we will be going over to the farm to drop off Neilli and watch Survivor on Thursday night. The prediction for Thursday is Snow .
The prediction for this year is that the snow is going to stop by 7 pm and we have a later flight so we will stay home and drive in on Friday morning. Stay Warm
Tuesday, February 14
6 inches-Certainly less than the 18 to 20 inches predicted. We had the wind. I saw reports at the Buzzards Bay bouy of winds in excess of 50 mph and seas running over 7 feet. The storm came in at low tide for us, which means that there wasn't much erosion. We don't get a lot of erosion in the Bay anyway. We had a minimal power outage and no basement flooding. For a comparison to the previous post the Triceretops nostrils are at 22". They are the yellow dots that show in both pictures if you look closely. It is sunny again today. Temperatures are supposed to be back up in the 50's tomorrow. Have a nice day.
Feb. 12, 2006 storm. It's days like this that we dream of heading south. It would be nice to be in the sun, snorkleing in crystal clear water. We are heading south around the first of March but the waters in and around Delray Beach are not warm enough to go swimming. At least not for us. If you look closely at our boat you will notice the bottom paint is slowly dissappearing. A few more weekends and it should be all gone. For those that care I only work 1/2 hour per day. No great extended exertions.
Saturday, February 11
It's 11:30 pm and no snow so far. The temperature got up to 35 this afternoon and I was able to continue my half hour boat bottom scraping. Just about the whole bottom has been scraped. The wind is starting to pick up and the Buzzards Bay bouy is reporting gusts to 35 kts. The weather map does show precipitation approaching, so I would expect snow to start in our area in about an hour. The current predictions have increased to 18 to 24 inches of light fluffy snow. I moved my snow stick back to the nose of the Triceretops from the middle of the lawn so we will have a better comparison. Stay warm we will see you in the morning.
The Snow Stick is out and awaiting the coming snow storm. We awoke this morning to clear blue skies with the sun up and shining. It is still sunny but the clouds are starting to come in. The prediction is for 10 to 14 inches tomorrow morning with 3 to 4 this evening. This is the first major snowstorm of 2006 and the weathermen are going to town with dire predictions for high wind and mucho snow. We are wondering how much hype this is and how much we are actually going to get.
I was hoping that the storm was going to track further to the East, but it does seem that it is coming closer. In which case we will get more snow. I have one of the kids down the street coming to dig us out. I do not want to worry anyone thinking that I will be out shoveling-may be the front step. If you would like a serious weather discussion of this storm and the weather for the rest of February check out http://mattnoyes.blogs.com . I did not have a measuring stick last year but you should be able to get an idea of the depth from looking at the triceretops. Click on the thumnail for a better view. I need to go out now and bring in some wood so we can stay warm during the power outage. Luckly the family room is being heated with a gas wood stove and is unaffected by the loss of electricity. Have a nice day.
Friday, February 10
Branwyn's first sail crossing Narragansett bay heading towad her new home in Marion. The credit for this photo goes to Paula Myers. We thank John & Paula for coming out to meet us as we headed for their dock in Tiverton. It took us 2 days to bring our new sailboat home. The most sailing we did was on the first day. The second day was all under power. We know that the engine works well. We had a good summer, overnighted at Tarpaulin Cove, Bassett's Island and Quisette Harbor. Lots of evening sails and the boat was hauled in early October and now sits in our front yard.